Turkish Regional Chapter
- To promote awareness of European Association of Science Editors (EASE) and organize training activities and thematic meetings in Turkey.
- To enhance collaboration among editors in eastern European and Balkan countries.
- To write or translate books, guidelines or booklets for editors, reviewers and authors.
The Chair of the Turkish Regional Chapter is Cem Uzun. He is supported by vice chair, Taner Kemal Erdag, and a range of members. See full details.
- EASE Turkish Regional Chapter’s Online Panel, Trust in Peer Review, 23 September 2020; 20.00-21.30 – held in Turkish and registration free
- EASE Webinar, “Peer review process and TR Index”, 24 September 2020; 14.30-17.00 – held in Turkish and registration free
- Candidate for the 16th EASE Conference (Istanbul, June 2023).
Read more about the Chapter’s activities on the EASE Blog.
- EASE Turkish Regional Chapter member, Sibel Tabanlioglu, has co-ordinated four online seminars on authorship, peer-review, editorship and ethics with the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK) and the Turkish Academic Network and Information Center (ULAKBIM) on 23-30 June 2020. The chair of the chapter, Cem Uzun moderated the ethics panel and gave a lecture at the editorship panel on “How to become a better editor”. The seminars have attracted great interest, and over 30,000 people have watched the videos of the sessions on TUBITAK ULAKBIM TV.
- ‘Editors and Editing in Times of Crisis‘ The EASE Turkish Chapter’s session at EASE Virtual Conference, Thursday, 11 June 2020. Read the full report
- The members of the chapter organized more than 40 educational activities for journals, editors, reviewers, authors and researchers in the last 20 years.
- Most of the members of the chapter are current or previous editors of the well-known scientific journals in Turkey.
- Cem Uzun is the Council Member of the EASE and the Science Committee Member of the TUBITAK-ULAKBIM TR Index, which is the most prestigious index in Turkey.
- Orhan Yilmaz has more than 25 years-experience on the organization of symposiums for Periodical Publishing in Health Sciences, he was one of the Founders & Chair (2003-2013) of TUBITAK-ULAKBIM TR Index.
- Fatma Basar, Ebru Soyyuce Aydin and Sibel Tabanlioglu are specialists at TUBITAK-ULAKBIM Cahit Arf Information Center.
- Zafer Koçak is one of the Science Committee Members of TUBITAK-ULAKBIM TR Index.
- Kadri Kiran received the best poster award at the 14th EASE Conference in Bucharest in June 2018.
- Zafer Kocak, Cem Uzun. Editor Responsibility and Scientific Integrity During the COVID-19 Outbreak. Balkan Med J. 2020 Apr 15. doi: 10.4274/balkanmedj.galenos.2020.2020.4.001. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 32292014
- Muge Atakan, Cem Uzun. The Turkish translation of the EASE SAGER Guidelines. Arastirmalarda cinsiyet ve toplumsal cinsiyet esitligi: SAGER yonergelerinin gerekcesi ve kullanim onerisi. Trakya Universitesi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi 1 Haziran 2020 Cilt 22 Sayı 1 (1-23) DOI: 10.26468/trakyasobed.689290
- Cenk Demirdover. H-Index and the other metrics in analyzing Authors’ impact. Turk J Plast Surg [serial online] 2018 [cited 2020 Feb 11];26:87-8. Available from: http://www.turkjplastsurg.org/text.asp?2018/26/3/87/235783
- Demirdover C. How to calculate journal impact factor?. Turk J Plast Surg [serial online] 2018 [cited 2020 Feb 11];26:43. Available from: http://www.turkjplastsurg.org/text.asp?2018/26/2/43/230148
- Orhan Yilmaz & Cem Uzun (eds). The Turkish translation of the “Handbook for Journal Editors” (by Pippa Smart).
- A course entitled “Writing a Scientific Paper in the Academic Life” was run by Orhan Yilmaz, Sibel Tabanlioglu and Ebru Aydin at Karabuk University (25 November 2019).
- A panel discussion on “Academic Publishing and Scientific Publication Ethics” was organized in Antalya. The chapter members Taner Erdag, Cem Uzun and Orhan Yilmaz are among the panelists (16 November 2019).
- A course on “Scientific Publication in Otorhinolaryngology” moderated by Cem Uzun, with speakers (editors from international otorhinolaryngology journals) wias run in Antalya. Orhan Yilmaz and Taner Erdag are among these speakers (13 November 2019).
- A round table discussion on “Medical journals publishing; current state and perspectives” (25 October 2019) was organized by the Montenegrian Academy of Science and Arts in Podgorica, Montenegro. Editors and authors from Balkan countries attended. Cem Uzun gave a lecture on “Publication ethics in medicine”.
- Asan, A. & Kiran, K. (2019) Yirtici-Yagmaci Dergiler ve Acik Erisim Bilimsel Dergilerin Ucret Talepleri Hakkinda. Acta Medica Alanya, 3, 203-204.
- Kocak Z. Predatory publishing and Turkey. Balkan Medical Journal 2019:36;199-201.
- Erdag TK. Be aware of predatory/fake conferences! Turk Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2019; 57:111-2.
- The Turkish Academic Network & Information Center ran an “Introduction and Educational Seminar on Turkish TR Index” (13 September 2019).
- The EASE Turkish Chapter and the Turkish Academic Network & Information Center ran an editor workshop in Edirne for 148 editors from all over Turkey (6 May 2019). It was live broadcasted.
- Demirdöver C. Citation Styles and Systems. Turk J Plast Surg 2019;27:41-3.
- Demirdöver C. The plagiarism. Turk J Plast Surg 2019;27:1-2.
- 3rd International Symposium of Scientific Journals of Trakya University: How to Become Successful Authors and Editors of Scientific Journals, December 2018. The full programme (slides and videos) can be downloaded from here and the meeting report was published in European Science Editing, and more details can found on the EASE website.
- Erdag TK. Boring emails: “You are invited to submit a manuscript for …”. Turk Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2018 Dec ;56(4):185-187. doi: 10.5152/tao.2018.861086. Epub 2018 Dec 1.“Trakya university scientific journals symposium” (25 June 2018).
- Presentations at the EASE Conference, Bucharest, June 2018:
– Editing small journals and those in languages other than English
– Setting up or improving your journal
- The Turkish translation of the EASE Ethics Checklist for Authors, November 2017
- Uzun C. Increasing the Impact Factor in the Ethical Way. Balkan Med J. 2017 Dec 1;34(6):482-484. doi: 10.4274/balkanmedj.2017.6.0001. Epub 2017 Nov 7.
- Erdag TK. Are We as Otorhinolaryngologists Aware of the Danger of Predatory Journals? Turk Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2017 Sep;55(3):95-98. doi: 10.5152/tao.2017.201702. Epub 2017 Sep 1.
- Uzun C, Inan M, Caliyurt O. A distinct Gateway to Science in Balkans: Balkan Medical Journal. Eur Sci Editing. 2015;41:11–3.
- Second Edirne Editor Workshop & Balkan Panel on Publication Ethics, February 2015 – symposium video
- First Symposium on Basic Features of a Good Scientific Article, January 2015 – symposium video
- Uzun C. Balkan Medical Journal is Now a Member of Committee on Publication Ethics. Balkan Med J. 2013 Dec; 30(4):349. doi: 10.5152/balkanmedj.2013.012.
- Uzun C. Multiple submission, duplicate submission and duplicate publication. Balkan Med J. 2013 Mar; 30(1):1-2. doi: 10.5152/balkanmedj.2013.001.
- Periodical Publishing in Health Sciences symposiums (2003-2013)